Saturday, January 18, 2014

Coconut Crusted French Toast

The waves of the sea
help me get back to me.
                                          -Unknown
 
This is usually a particularly hard time of the year for me. Christmas is over as well as the celebration for the New Year. My "resolutions" are beginning to fade and I am starting to feel like a failure. It is bitter cold and the thought of spring feels like a fantasy at the moment.
 
But, this year is different.
 
With all of the little changes that I have been making and my good friend, the "happy light", I might ACTUALLY make it through this winter in one piece! I have a couple of little trips planned and our big family vacation for the year is mostly paid for, I'm just waiting to actually make the purchase.
 
When winters are hard though, I have found that if I trick my mind into believing that I am somewhere tropical I can usually take off the top layer of sadness, even if it is only for a couple of moments. This usually involves listening to my Israel Kamakawiwo’ole station on Pandora and making something yummy to eat that reminds me of the islands. 
 
Nothing says Aloha to me in a more beautiful way than Coconut Crusted French Toast with Coconut Syrup. The warm toasted coconut is nestled nicely in a bed of thick sliced French bread that has been dredged through a mixture of eggs and coconut milk which enhances the flavor and gives a lighter feel to the whole meal.  
 
So turn up the music, warm up your griddle and blast the furnace. We are going to make it through this winter, one delicious bite at a time!
 
 
Coconut Crusted French Toast
 
1 loaf French bread cut into 1 inch slices
6 eggs lightly beaten
1/2 of a 13.5 can of coconut milk
1 tsp coconut extract
2 1/2-3 C coconut flakes
 
Warm griddle to medium heat and prepare with cooking spray or melted butter.
 
Mix eggs, coconut milk and coconut extract until well combined.
 
Dredge sliced French bread through egg mixture and then through coconut flakes.
 
Place on griddle and cook, flipping several times to ensure that it cooks evenly, until egg coating is cooked through and coconut begins to toast. 
 
Coconut Syrup
 
1 stick butter
1 C sugar
1/2 C milk 
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp coconut extract

Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium sauce pan. (The syrup will more than double in size when you add the baking soda, so a medium sauce pan is necessary.)

Bring just to a boil over medium heat.

Remove from heat and whisk in remaining ingredients until syrup is light and fluffy.
   


No comments:

Post a Comment