Sunday, January 26, 2014

Nutella Syrup

Forget love ... I'd rather fall in chocolate!
 
We are just a hop, skip and a jump away from my FAVORITE holiday! I love the simplicity of Valentines day. It can be as elaborate or as simple as you decide. There are no expectations of some mystical creature that will magically appear and grant your child's wishes. No hiding gifts or eggs or dollar bills. No need to be sneaky or secretive or aloof.
 
I get to just be me.
 
I get to tell my loves what they mean to me and why I am so grateful that they are a part of my life, in my own way, at my own pace, and with the effort that I am able to pull together at this time of year. 
 
It is all mine!
 
We have very few real "traditions" when it comes to Valentines day. The only constant that runs through the years as a thread that holds them all together is that I cook special meals.
 
Breakfasts are usually heart shaped and decadent while dinners revolve around things that my hubby loves, namely steak and seafood with a big glorious homemade cheesecake for dessert.
 
After several years of trying to go out for Valentines day, arranging baby sitters, finding a restaurant that actually accepts reservations and then waiting around for a sub par dining experience, we decided that eating at home for the actual holiday is the way to go and then we go on our Valentines date a week or two later. Eating at home also allows us to celebrate with our kiddo's. It's a win-win for everyone.
 
So with Valentines on my mind I decided to experiment this morning with a new breakfast syrup concept and we all loved the results. Imagine pairing this with the coconut crusted French toast that I posted just over a week ago for a little Mounds candy bar flavor burst or maybe creating peanut butter pancakes and then drizzling them with this syrup and you've got your morning Reese's. Let your taste buds be your guide and create a fun, delicious and special breakfast for your loves this Valentines morning.
 


Nutella Syrup
 
1/2 C Nutella
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 C milk 
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium sauce pan. (The syrup will more than double in size when you add the baking soda, so a medium sauce pan is necessary.)

Bring just to a boil over medium heat.

Remove from heat and whisk in remaining ingredients until syrup is light and fluffy.
   

 


No comments:

Post a Comment