Saturday, August 24, 2013

Southwest Avocado Ranch Salad

Not until we are lost do we begin
to understand ourselves.
 
                     -Thoreau
 
I didn't realize how much I needed a creative outlet until I started writing this blog. I had a personal blog that I used post to on a very regular basis, but for a time I lost my voice. I am happy that I have found it again and am even happier to share tonight's dinner. This morning I picked up my Bountiful Basket and immediately began dreaming up different ways that I could use it's contents this week.
 
 
The lettuce was a no brainer. I knew that tonight we would be enjoying a BIG beautiful salad with crunchy french bread on the side. I have made a version of this dressing a couple of times, but since we had GORGEOUS organic avocados I decided to mix things up a bit and turn our regular "Southwest Ranch" into "Southwest Avocado Ranch", and it was DELICIOUS!
 
 
If you ever bring home lettuce and it is a little wilty, don't despair. There are several ways to bring that luscious goodness back to life. My favorite way is to wait until the day I am using it, chop it up into bite sized pieces, fill my salad spinner with ice cold water and let the lettuce soak while I chop up my other veggies. By the time the other ingredients are ready to go your lettuce will be crisp and cold, just the way it should be.
 


 
 
Southwest Avocado Ranch Dressing
 
 
1 pkg ranch dressing mix
1/2 pkg taco seasoning
1 ripe avocado
milk and mayo as per ranch dressing instructions
 
Cut and mash avocado. Prepare ranch dressing as per instructions on package. Combine dressing, avocado and taco seasoning. Chill for 30 minutes to allow it to thicken.
 

 
 
Southwest Avocado Ranch Salad
 
1 head lettuce chopped
1 green pepper chopped
2 tomatoes diced
2 avocados diced
1/2 15.25 oz can corn drained
1/2 15.25 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
2 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
crunchy tortilla strips
bacon crumbles
 
Chop lettuce and place in ice cold water within salad spinner. Meanwhile chop all other vegetables. Drain lettuce and spin until it is dry. Combine first seven ingredients and dressing. Top with tortilla strips and bacon crumbles. Enjoy!
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment